I’m teaching a three-hour, online comedy writing workshop in conjunction with the Breonna Taylor Art Auction. It’s geared for comedians looking to improve their material, people looking to break into the comedy-writing market, and any writers who want to deepen their skill sets.
The ABCs of Comedy Writing Workshop: Saturday, October 3, noon-3pm EST via Zoom. $75. Please email me for payment options here.
This workshop will cover some of the fundamentals of stand-up comedy—what makes people laugh, what skills are required to be a comic, joke structure, and the basic “laws” of comedy that influence the performer/audience dynamic—and a number of writing techniques to streamline your jokes. I will also briefly discuss professional writing jobs. We will devote some time to workshopping material in class as well.
I’m bringing 25+ years of stand-up and writing experience and all the insights I’ve gathered over that time, from the mundane to the monumental.
Some of my qualifications:
- 25+ years working professionally in comedy clubs (as well as cruise ships, colleges, etc.)
- Numerous comedy writing gigs, including Squatty Potty
- Grand Prize winner of Comedy Central’s national stand-up competition (Laugh Riots)
- Two specials on Dry Bar Comedy
- Numerous competitions and festivals, including Just for Laughs in Montreal, San Francisco, Boston, and others
- Last Comic Standing, Comedy Central, The Learning Channel, Late Friday and more
- I think my work speaks volumes: check out sample clips at robertmac.com/videos